Friday, August 23, 2013

Advice for Bookstore Customers

If you could give people one piece of advice to prep them for entering a bookstore, what would it be?


"Any bookstore, or mine? OK. Two answers:

"1. Any bookstore: The person behind that counter/shelving that book/cleaning that cat box is a human being with feelings. So is everyone in service. It takes less effort to keep your mouth shut than to say something mean and unnecessary. 'No thanks, I'll just get it on Amazon.' is on the top of this list of crappy, unnecessary things to say. I don't come into your house and explain how I'm going to take food out of your child's mouth, do I?
"2. My bookstore: Open your eyes! Don't just look at the size of the shop and say, 'They don't have anything.' (See 1.) People who give us a shot realize that it's a browser's paradise of colorfully showcased books that are carefully selected to satisfy and delight! The store says 'I love you! I picked these out just for you!' "


--Kelly Justice, owner of the Fountain Bookstore, Richmond, Va., in an interview with the blog a girl named Sue.

No comments: