Saturday, December 21, 2013

Janson-Smith to Retire

Publishers Lunch


Patrick Janson-Smith will retire in fall 2014 when he turns 65, after his fortieth consecutive Frankfurt Book Fair. He is currently publisher of the boutique imprint Blue Door at Harper UK, which he founded in 2008. The line will close after his retirement. He says: "The industry has changed so much in the past few years. The whole industry is in a bit of a mess at the moment, but it can only get better. I think Stephen Page said, if you can't understand it, get out. I think that's good advice, which I intend to follow. I'm a book man, and I mean a book, with pages in it. That's my true love, and I want to be faithful." Harper UK ceo Charlie Redmayne notes: "Everyone at Harper Collins will be immensely sad to see Patrick retire. He has had a wonderful career in publishing which is based on a real passion for books and writers. We will miss him here both professionally and personally and wish him well for the future."

No comments: